Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recruiting Has A New Face (book)

We live in a day and age where carrier pigeons (unfortunately) are a thing of the past, compared to text messages, Facebook invites, and Glee episodes.  Every one of us have cellphones, but I for one use mine more for texting, Facebooking, Tweeting, and Foursquare more than I use it for calling people.   So, why not use this advancement in technology as yet another way for name generation for Fraternity recruitment?

As Recruitment Chair for Pike, recruitment is on my mind 24/7/365 (366 on leapyears, and boy, you'd better believe I use that extra day to my advantage), and I'm CONSTANTLY looking for new ways to improve recruitment, whether it be better name generation tactics, better recruitment events, or better ways to show the right guys that Pike is where they need to be.  I don't create Pikes, I find them, and I think Facebook is a good place to look.  It goes without saying that I would never initiate someone who I had strictly met on Facebook and never met in person, that would be stupid. But it is a good way to find names of guys who you can tell hold themselves to a higher standard already, and are "Pike material", and also might have interest in Greek life already.

One of the first principles we learned in this class was that the world is changing, and if we want to make a difference, we're gonna have to change with it.  Obviously, I read this article on Time's website, not out of their magazine.  It's a good article that I found very relateable and brought this issue to light.  I can understand the point of view that "Facebook stalking" is wrong, but it's something everyone does, and does no real harm when done correctly.  It is up to the Facebook user to be smart about what they post, and who they allow to see what on their profile, to make sure they are being secure and that the world isn't seeing everything about them.  Always post as if your boss were watching, is something our President told us in Pike and that stuck with me.  As a last note about something in the article, I really liked the following quote, "It's a way for incoming freshmen to see that the Greek system is not what it's perceived to be, not just a place to party. We do other functions. Our real mission is trying to better ourselves and make lifelong friends rather than party 24/7."  An SAE said this, explaining that they invite a lot of non-members to their philanthropy events to show that Greek life is not what it used to be, and that they really do great things, and this is something I believe as well.


http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1891277,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment