Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Honey Bunches of Oath

Those of you who have been reading all my blogs thus far know that I am an avid Green Lantern fan, which means that I know a lot about oaths*One thing all of us have in common with every Green Lantern is that we've all taken an oath.  While we didn't pledge to vanquish all evil with our super awesome power rings, we did all pledge to uphold certain values in our every day lives.  These values differ from fraternity to fraternity and sorority to sorority, but they all basically boil down to living lives of integrity and honor.

Living lives of integrity and honor is easier said than done, especially with all the temptation exists in our world.  In terms of alcohol specifically, which I believe is the biggest vice college kids in general deal with, I think that integrity and honor doesn't mean that alcohol shouldn't be drank at all.  I believe that honor and integrity means that when drinking, one should be responsible and drink in moderation, as opposed to getting belligerently drunk five out of seven nights of the week, which a lot of people seem to consider the normal way of life.

Personally, I don't believe that Fraternities and Sororities, or at least what I can vouch for from my own experience, discuss the values that we pledged to enough.  In my own experience, we discuss these values and rituals as a chapter when new members get initiated, and then kind of proceed to forget about them until the end of the quarter.  That's not to say that I don't have a lot of brothers that live our ritual every day.  One brother, by the name of Zac Beals, even won an award for living his Fraternity Values in his every day life.  I just think that as a group, we need to be reminded of these values and what our founding fathers went through to establish these Fraternities and Sororities, a lot more.

*Small reference that most likely none of you will get

1 comment:

  1. Ill admit to checking wikipedia to refresh my memory of the Green Lantern Oath. I think its a pretty awesome parallel.

    Its important to think critically about the oaths we take. The crazy part is the further you get into college--and life, the more relevant our oaths become. Asking yourself the questions you are asking in your post will serve you well.

    Let me know if you ever want to talk about it. I love talking about these things.

    Keep up the awesome work.

    -Z

    ReplyDelete