Tuesday, May 10, 2011

(Insert Clever Blog Title Here)

Citizenship.  The act of being an active participant in one's community.  As a person who frequents in community service and philanthropic acts, citizenship is very important to me.  I am an involved citizen of my Greek community, but not as involved as I could/would like to be.  I'm very involved with my chapter, and often participate in various philanthropic efforts of sororities, but I'm a firm believer that this community needs to come together more.

While involvement could improve, I feel that my chapter provides a good example of citizenship in our Greek community.  I can't say that every member of my Fraternity does, but as a group, we are active participants of Greek life.  For example, we attended every single Greek Week event, and attended so in decent numbers.  We have good relations with many sororities, but could work on our connections with other Fraternities. 

Lastly, I don't believe that our Greek community as a whole is a citizen of our greater OSU community, as individual members of the Greek community are.  There are certain members of our community who are involved in multiple organizations across campus, and hold leadership positions in those organizations.  Overall, I'd say that most Greek members are involved in at least one or two other organizations across campus, and are active members of those organizations.  The desire to get involved and make a difference is what brought a lot of people to Greek life in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment